Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day eighty-five

The proton is dead: Today's misadventures in blog form.

I went to work this morning at 6am and did my usual Tuesday morning job, only the employee that I work with on Tuesdays was terribly ill. I had to do a bunch of mindless tasks and eventually sent her home. Today was like a Saturday, thanks to teacher furlough day. Children were in mass destroying our store and it seemed like I could not get any task done without being interrupted by one problem or the next. Luckily I had the opportunity to leave early and I seized it.

Unfortunately I had to leave work early for a reason. I promised my sister that I would take her and her friend to a concert downtown. She had no details about the concert except for it's location and time. So I naturally was a bit irritated by the lack of information and was in a generally bad mood. My sister sometimes really really bugs me. I wasn't really into the band she was going to see so I dropped her off and hung out at my alma mater.

I found an old building that I had many classes in and reached the top floor and read "Smiles to Go". At first I wasn't too interested in this kid's fiction book, but then I really got into it. I was about halfway through when an old High School friend of mine spotted me. I thought I was in trouble, because generally I'm awkward with encounters like this. I didn't really know him well, but he was a nice guy. In fact, he invited me to a violin / cello graduate student recital that was happening later on in the evening. I had nothing better to do, so I went.

My old high school acquaintance had to leave to go into the control room and I was left to sit alone, which was a relief, because I would have been awkward if we had sat next to each other. I chose a seat in the upper right most corner of the recital hall and I began to read more of "Smiles to Go". I kept reading and when it got to the climax the emotional part, I cried. I wept while a Schubert quintet was playing some up lifting music.

Oddly enough, the girl who sat directly in front of me... even though there were empty seats all around me, since this is the very very far back corner of the recital hall, began to cry too. Probably because of unrelated reasons, I ididn't see a book in her hand. She seemed very sad and I wanted to reach out and comfort her. But, this I thought in my head would be weird. Me, blotchy eyed, over a children's book and her blotchy eyed, for who knows what reason, her girlfriend or boyfriend, her failure to play in the recital, etc... So I decided against saying anything.

I like sitting in the far back, because I think it sounds better, especially if the recital hall is well insulated for acoustics. In the back, I finally get to hear the music, after it has traveled through the ears of so many others. I also like to see the big picture, the players vigorously handling their instruments.

Afterwards I realized that Twan was right, yet again, that I was much like Will Tuppence... tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag... sorry I had to go there. Anyways. I really really really related to Will. And I love this book. Read it! It will only take you 2 or 3 hours at most, and that's if you are a slow reader like me.

Anyways after the concert I read some other books that I will mention later in another blog post and I went to pick up my sister from the concert. While I was waiting outside the venue, I saw a girl get arrested, a bunch of drunk people, and four crazy homeless. It was all kind of funny seeing everyone interact with each other. I sat quietly and just observed.

So after the concert, my sister's friend wanted to meet the lead singer. We wait outside for at least 2 hours before the guy shows up in the loading area of the venue where everyone is waiting for him. And my sister got her picture taken. What is the point of this? Nothing, but it gives me an entry for now.

On another note, I almost got hit by a car today that is/was involved in a high speed pursuit with not just 1 cop car, not just 2, but 5... I've never seen so many cars move that quickly without being like a nascar wreck on the freeway.

That is all for now.

??:?? (More than 15 min).

No comments:

Post a Comment