Monday, November 1, 2010

Day eighty-four

Another long email. I've copied and pasted so you won't think I'm cheating on wfmad. This email is kind of personal so be aware you may be offended.

Where do you see God at work in the world?


Where do you see God at work in you (this one is often hard – ask a Christian friend you trust to help you answer this, or ask God to open your eyes to what God is doing in you: don’t forget, God could be at work in your questions!

What are one or two small steps can you do to move closer to God at work in you and in the world?


Randy,


The questions you’ve asked are almost impossible for me to answer at this point in time. I cannot tell you where I see God at work if I don’t even fully believe He exists. I do not follow both of the commandments Jesus stated in Matthew 22:37 – 40. Hypothetically speaking if I, from some divine intervention, retain what is called unconditional belief in God, I would imagine that I would say something like this:

God is at work everywhere, His omnipresent, omniscient, omni- benevolent, and omnipotent being works every minute of every day. His work is seen in nature, in life and death, in miracles, and all things good. I’ve seen God’s work in people moved by the Holy Spirit. I’ve seen God’s work move people to do unexpected things such as giving up their possessions and become missionaries in foreign countries to spread his word. God’s work, like Him, exists everywhere, sometime people do not recognize when He is working in them. The nearly avoided traffic accident, the serendipity of eros love, the arrival of friendship in times of depression, are all everyday examples of God’s work.

If I was a true believer I would say all these things without question without doubt, but I don’t see God’s work often. This may be blasphemous, but I mostly see a bitter and angry Father disappointed with his children – teaching his children to love out of fear. (Romans 1:18 being an example, I haven’t read much of the Old Testament, but from what I’m told God was indeed very wrathful in the Old days). Christ seemed to have intervened and as they say in that all too quoted John 3:16 (mostly at football games and wrestling matches) “For God so loved the world...” It seems though all of my non-believing will eventually lead me to perish. But, I would rather perish than to pretend to believe in something I don’t— A view that causes me great discomfort (as it should I suppose).

As for your second question: Assuming that God exists and that I believe in Him unconditionally, I would say I see God’s work in me everyday when I think about epistemological questions about truth and ontological questions of being and know that even though I question I still believe in His existence, that there is some inherent part of my being fighting a battle, let’s say my soul, for this belief. I have asked God several times to reveal Himself to me. I read and re-read Matthew 7:7-12 and Luke 11:5-10 in hopes that my audacity will finally get noticed by God. I feel frustrated, because I assume the search for God would be a peaceful, and in a more ignorant sense a simple one. I find myself questioning and confronting everything I read. I feel so much resistance, perhaps it could be called insecurity, in my search for God. if there was a way to say a prayer and just believe I would love to know what it is. Perhaps I see God at work in me when I have this unknown desire to be reconciled with Him (Romans 5:11). I read once that I feel spiritual guilt because I did not know or accept that guilt has been paid for by Christ.

I’m not sure any steps I take will move me closer to God in myself or at work.

The only steps I see are vast ones. “Leaps of Faith” if you will, but I suppose I could read the Bible more often and pray. If possible, I could humor myself and perhaps even God by just letting go of all doubt. It seems impossible though.

I know I haven’t really answered your questions and honestly I don’t know how to properly answer them (if there is even a proper way). I’m sorry for this. I wish there was a better way to convey myself. If you need me to clarify anything let me know, though I might not even know how to. One day I hope you ask me these questions again when I’m a true believer.

I have some questions for you if you have the time:

When you say “The truth is, faith in Jesus is not primarily fueled by feeling, but instead, it is fueled by intentional choices to live each day in the presence of God” I’m not sure what you mean by living each day in the presence of God. If God’s already always present, wouldn’t all of our actions be in His presence? What are some examples of intentional choices that lead to living each day in the presence of God?

Do you believe God chases after those who don’t believe in Him? Do you think he truly gives us a choice to believe or not to believe? I know this is a heavy handed question predicated by the issue of “Free Will”, but I would at least like to know your opinion, even if there isn’t an answer.

Thanks again for responding and taking the time to reply. I know you are very busy and this email is very long, so I’m not expecting a response right away and I definitely can wait. I’m not sure if I can repay you for your time, but perhaps when I stop becoming a heathen it will be revealed to me.

2:43:41

No comments:

Post a Comment