Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day forty-four

Attonbitus

I stand ten feet away from
the door as she enters the room.
Then it happens. The air from my lungs
escapes as though frightened by
a coming storm. My jaw drops
like the wolf in a Droopy cartoon.
The neurons in me seem to temporarily
freeze, disconnecting the body
and mind. My brain tries to interpret
the actions of my lungs and knees,
it knows I look like a fool. I'm paralyzed
and afraid of being eaten alive. Flight
or fight, fight or flight. The adrenaline
moves too slow. My heart pants. The spell
breaks as she walks past. Then,
as though the world is in slow motion
my brain and body speed to the present.
I attempt to regain composure. And I want
to tell her everything, but the flight
instinct finally kicks in and I walk away.

15:52

No comments:

Post a Comment