Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day thirty-nine

A child divided

Where do I fit in? Neither black
nor white, I'm outside false dichotomies.
Am I the child of three countries? Two
that hate each other, centuries
old grudges? Korea and Japan. I am
American I try to tell myself over
and over again. It's not so simple. I'm expected
to speak both languages, know both
cultures. But nothing's ever perfect. I am
a melting pot of two cultures, inserted
into the bowl of a third. I speak English
like most Americans. Eat fast food
watch television. What makes us
so different? Some people think
I'm hispanic or an ambiguous
race. Does it matter? One day
will there be no distinction? A preacher's
daughter once said that races
were like flowers in the field. If all
the flowers were the same, the
world wouldn't be as beautiful. But,
I said what of hybrids of varieties
of orchids mixed for generations.
Should I attempt to revert back
to my heritage. Be proud of places
and countries unknown to me.
To people who hold ancient
connections with my blood?
Or should I do nothing and attempt
to live my life separated from
all ties of my past? Ancient
cultures crumble, new ones
are born do we hold to them
or are we all just hybrids.

15:01


No comments:

Post a Comment