Friday, September 17, 2010

Day thirty-eight

The final days of Giraffes

My daughter won't believe
me when I tell her that giraffes
once existed. She's only six and says
No daddy, giraffe's are make
believe. I describe their long necks--
tall as tree trunks, and their patchwork
skin of brown and tan spots. She laughs
as I tell her that giraffes have blue
tongues and horns. Were they monsters?
she asks, her tone like a dancing
mouse. I clasp my hands with hers
and explain they were as gentle giants.
I show her a picture then show her
a clip from a national geographic
documentary. What happened to them?
she squeals. I shake my head and tell
her they disappeared. Daddy and
daddy's friends scared them off.
she smiles and shakes her head
Be nice and they'll come back.
I want to tell her that she's wrong
that we were careless. That we
neglected the earth. Instead
I say what a great idea as I
read on the front page
Last giraffe dies in captivity.

17:53

No comments:

Post a Comment