Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day twenty-two

I want to capture the feelings, hold them
in my hands. Squeeze them tightly and watch
them crumble. I want to feel again. I'm numb.
Not sure what to do anymore. Panicked. I'm angry,
hurt, bits of happiness cut through the canopy
like strips of light passing through leaves. There
is still a storm on the horizon. Looming with uncertainty.
I wish you the best, but I can't bear to tell you-
to tell you that I want you to be happy. I want you
to find someone you can ultimately connect with
on a level higher than our own. When you asked
if you wanted to be best friends I wanted to say yes
but I was afraid. That I would get hurt again, that I
would do something crazy, like smash the next
guy you date into a wall with my car. I'm not violent,
but there's always the possibility. There's always
the possibility that ten years from now you
and I will pass each other. There would be an awkward
moment pass between us. The slight shift as we
recognize each other then, something I fear most,
there will be silence. And we will pass each other
to unknown destinations. Regret, regret, regret,
slammed into my chest like balled up fist. Rationally
I know this wasn't my fault, that we weren't meant
for each other. But I am irrational. In a frenzied state
of hurt and confusion. Did I really do my best? Did
I frustrate you too much? Did you just need some space?
These questions will never be answered. They will be written
down, balled up and tossed into a fire- a sad sacrifice
to the god of endings and break-ups. But the god
of new beginnings will lay its hand on my shoulder
and smile. I'm done.

16:14

No comments:

Post a Comment