Monday, September 27, 2010

Day forty-nine

I am reading "Thanks, But This Isn't For Us: A (Sort of) Compassionate Guide to Why Your Writing Is Being Rejected" by Jessica Page Morrell. One of the exercises Morrell challenges writers with is to "write five sentence openings to short stories, novels, or memoirs that you don't intend to write".

Western:

John still felt the heavy vibration from h is left hand after he fired the pistol. It was the first time he had ever shot a gun and he was hoping it would be his last. His hand shook as he tried to re-holster his gun. Not many in his generations were south paws.

Horror:

I asked to be handcuffed, but the police cited regulation and shoved me in a cell in the corner of the jail. The problem was "it" was still out there and as long as I was alone, we would be safe.

Fantasy:

Hemlock laughed as the human tried to lift his ax. Dwarves, much stouter than men, have large muscular arms built from years of working in underground mines. All Dwarves are practically given pick axes as soon as they leave their mother's womb.

Suspense:

His eyes are blurred behind frosted glass as he feels the pulse of the girl he's about to strangle. They had just slept together and she felt too relaxed to see the glaze in his eyes. The fangs of his thumbs dig deep and at once she is startled, thrashing like a pigeon held up by a single leg.

Memoir:

I was only 4 years old when I left the country I was born in. I remember almost every detail. My mother cried all day, her eyes red and bleary. My father purchased a car from a gas station for only $200. The black bucket had leather seats with holes in them and no seat belts in the back. It was cheaper than hiring a taxi to get from Pusan to Seoul, where the airport awaited us. The year is 1987 and South Korea was in celebration and parades were abundant with a life sized Hodori (The South Korean mascot, a Korean tiger, giving hugs to every child.

30:45

No comments:

Post a Comment